Australia’s National Digital Health Strategy – Safe, Seamless and Secure, evolving health and care to meet the needs of modern Australia – outlines a vision for 2022 focused on an evidence base of benefits prioritising national-level digital health activity which will result in:
- Hospital admissions avoided
- Fewer adverse drug events
- Reduced duplication of medical tests
- Better coordination of care for people with chronic and complex conditions, and
- Better informed treatment decisions.
Achievement of the outcomes in the strategy will depend on continued co-production with patients, consumers and carers – and the governments, healthcare professionals, organisations and industry innovators who serve them. As custodians of the strategy, the Australian Digital Health Agency has co-designed this first edition of the Framework for Action with all Australian governments, and
a range of clinical, consumer and industry organisations, building on the findings of the strategy outcome national consultation.
This framework outlines 44 key activities prioritised for delivery between 2018 and 2022 that are necessary to implementing the National Digital Health Strategy and realising the benefits of digitally enabled health and care. Each activity was identified during the national strategy consultation, and further developed following consultation with the organisations and people who have a role in implementing the work over the life of the strategy.
The framework will be a living document that is regularly updated to reflect the continuing progress on the strategy’s outcomes. The purpose of the Framework for Action is to:
- Articulate the activities required to deliver on the strategy outcomes, and the roles participants in the digital health ecosystem will play in order to deliver them;
- Promote collaboration and information sharing and provide a holistic view of the various projects, innovations, investments and new ways of working that progress the seven strategic priority areas in the strategy; and
- Be a guide for organisations that are recalibrating their strategies or forward work programs to align to national strategic priorities.
The framework details how the digital health ecosystem is working together to help empower people, and those who care for them, with modern digital services and products. Focusing on these national activities, together we will achieve the outcomes committed to in the strategy and realise the benefits for the healthcare system and the Australian community.
We hope the Framework for Action creates the basis for an ongoing dialogue and is a catalyst for organisations to align to the vision for digitally enabled health and care so that we have a truly national, cohesive and integrated digital health ecosystem.
Principles of the Framework for Action
1. The Framework for Action supports the vision, the outcomes and benefits committed to and outlined in the seven strategic priorities of the National Digital Health Strategy.
2. Activity choices and the roles of participants are drawn from what the Agency heard during the national strategy consultation, and supported by the Agency’s further engagement with the digital health ecosystem – the very people and organisations who will support and help deliver them.
3. The framework aligns to strategic national health reform priorities and investments of the states and territories and the Australian Government.
4. Activities in the framework leverage national investment, including specifications and standards.
5. The framework highlights current and planned activities, and will be used to identify role gaps that will need to be addressed over the life of the strategy.
6. The framework will be iteratively developed over the life of the strategy in consultation with stakeholders to reflect the continuing progress in digital health innovation and investment.